12 Apr Child Safety On Window Blinds
First Choice Blinds Window blinds and child safety Information
Your home should be a place where your children are safe and protected, but there is a hidden danger in many Irish homes here are some tips on window blinds.
The cords and chains of window blinds and curtains can pose a serious risk.
What to do:
- Move beds, cots and furniture away from windows.
- Keep cords and chains out of reach of children – cords should end at least 1.6 mts above the ground.
- Make your existing blinds or curtains safe – try to get rid of cords ending in a loop were this is not possible add safety catches or cleat’s.
- When ordering vertical blinds go for woad control (no cords)
- Were the child’s bed is under the window use a spring loaded or motorized blind.
- Choose new blinds or curtains carefully – there are now many options available that don’t have cords or chains.
- Check that the blinds includes a safety device for keeping the cord out of the reach of children and that the safety device meets the new safety standards EN 16433:2014 and EN 16434:2014.
- Check that written instructions for assembly, installation, use and maintenance are provided, and follow them if you are installing the blind yourself.
- Educate you child on the danger of cords were possible.
- These may seem like very basic things but it is up o us in the blind industry to educate as much as possible I hope you found this helpful.
A word of caution
These tips should help to protect your child from possible serious harm. You should be aware that all risks cannot be eliminated. Parents and others should always keep window blind cords and chains out of the reach of children and follow the safety instructions.